Yavapai County WIC is one of six Agencies in the United States and U.S. Territories to be awarded the Gold Premier Award from Loving Support©. Yavapai County Community Health Services was the only agency in Arizona to qualify for this award, along with agencies in California, Washington and Idaho. Loving Support© Makes Breastfeeding Work is the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) national breastfeeding promotion and support campaign. Education, training and outreach materials are provided for staff of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC).
The key messages of Loving Support© are to help women feel comfortable with breastfeeding, provide tips on how breastfeeding can work around a busy schedule and to involve family and friends to make breastfeeding a success.
Willa Miller, Nutrition Programs Manager responded, “I am so proud of my staff for their hard work and compassion for supporting breastfeeding mothers. Liz Ortega, the YCCHS Breastfeeding Counselor, is an amazing asset to our team in ensuring all referrals received from WIC staff are addressed and provided appropriate follow up. Without her drive to support these mothers and their babies – we would not even be eligible for this award.”
The Loving Support© Campaign goals are to:
- Increase breastfeeding initiation rates among WIC participants
- Increase breastfeeding duration among WIC participants
- Increase referrals to WIC for breastfeeding support
- Increase general public acceptance and support of breastfeeding; and
- Provide support and technical assistance to WIC State and local agencies in the promotion of breastfeeding key messages.
If you are seeking award-winning breastfeeding support for you and your baby, please contact our WIC department at 928-771-3122.