Big Idea: Steve Wozniak announced the launch of Woz U Thursday evening. Starting out now as an online campus, up to 30 ‘bricks and mortar’ Woz Academies will be added across the country beginning in 2018.
- Woz U was announced Thursday evening in Arizona
- Mission is to “...deliver personalized technology-based learning to energize a new generation of innovators"
- Goal is to educate and train people in employable digital skills
- Programs are designed to last about 33 weeks
- There is a Woz U Mobile App, allowing students to access the curriculum
- First up: Woz U Online with 2 programs: Full-Stack Software Developer & Computer Support Specialist (more on the way)
- Up to 30 “bricks and mortar” physical Woz Academies are planned starting in 2018
- In 2019, Woz U Accelerator will be launched for the most elite talent found through the Online and Academies
- A K-12 STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics) projects will be offered to school districts
- Tuition, not yet announced, promises to be affordable
- Corporate headquarters are in Scottsdale
Are you ready for the next workforce revolution? What will you do when AI takes over your job? Do you even know what AI is?
Steve Wozniak, (affectionately known as The Woz throughout the tech world,) could answer those questions, but he’d rather empower you to do that. That’s why he announced the launch of Woz U Thursday (or Friday, depending on which story you read) at the Arizona Tech Summit, sponsored by DESTechAZ.
“Our goal is to educate and train people in employable digital skills without putting them into years of debt. People often are afraid to choose a technology-based career because they think they can’t do it,” Woz said. “I know they can, and I want to show them how.”
The tagline for Woz U?
Woz U. Education. Reprogrammed.
Woz-U App home screen
This project appears to be a natural progression for the co-founder of Apple Computer. Woz has long been a champion of tech education. According to his website, woz.org "Making significant investments of both his time and resources in education, he “adopted” the Los Gatos School District, providing students and teachers with hands-on teaching and donations of state-of-the-art technology equipment.” That was nearly 20 years ago:
One of the cool things about this for folks who live in Arizona? The corporate headquarters are in Scottsdale. Brent Richardson is the Board Chairman of Woz U and explained, “Arizona has positioned itself as the next technology metropolis.”
Richardson is the CEO of Exeter Education. The woz-u.com website explains, "Inspired by Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple Computer, we specialize in technology and career-based programs designed to get people into the workforce quickly and affordably. Woz U is passionate about inspiring the next generation of innovators and developing the workforce of the future.
"Led by higher education experts, Exeter Education, students will learn the skills necessary to take flight within the technology industry. Woz U is considered part of Southern Careers Institute (SCI) and will continue to partner with other colleges and institutions as we grow.”
After downloading the Woz U App, you are invited to take an assessment test of about 10 questions.
Once you take the assessment, you are given a recommendation based on your results.
Programs & Timeline
2017: Woz U Mobile App - allowing curriculum access via phone. Immediate assessment test.
2017: Woz U Online with two programs: Full-Stack Software Developer and Computer Support Specialist
2018: Woz U Online additional programs: Data Science, Mobile Application, Cyber Security
2018: Woz U Academy: Physical campuses featuring one-to-one instruction, adaptive and progressive teaching technology. 30 Academies will be opened starting in 2018.
2019: Woz U Accelerator: A program designed to identify the most elite talent and place them into fully paid internships.