For those that have read my writings, you know I have been pretty tough on realtors. But that doesn't mean you should forego the realtor and sell your own home. Let me explain why.
For Sale By Owner Do's and Don't's
This information may protect your life, valuables, and medicines. In today’s society of e-mail scams, telephone scams, mall killings, policemen getting killed, I have a lot of concern for sellers and realtors. Over the years, there have been numerous realtors killed or robbed while doing their work. Many real estate offices today are giving realtors special training to save their lives.
What about sellers? We will discuss some simple do’s and don’ts:
- Never let a stranger into your home to look at it without having a neighbor or two with you during the showing. Be careful, however, this may jeopardize more lives than yours.
- Interview them thoroughly on the phone, with a call back to their phone number. If they are local, ask for references; for those from out of town, some lender references.
- Make sure you receive a prequalify letter from a lender, either mailed, faxed, or emailed to you so you can check it out. That includes making phone calls to make sure it’s a legitimate potential buyer and prequalification letter or form. They are easy to counterfeit.
- Never, never, let someone in to your home off the street because you have a For Sale by Owner sign in your yard. Make them call you and get references immediately; then set an appointment for a little later. Your life is worth that!
In my 40 years of real estate selling, I have never been more adamant about my advice to you, the home seller, of why it makes sense to use a realtor, for reasons other than rotecting you and your valuables.
In a recent study by Analyst Tom Ruff of the Information Market, in the Phoenix, Az. area, the median price sold by realtors was $218,000 and for sale by owner median price was $161,000 – a 35% difference. The average square footage price sold by realtors was 18% higher than For Sale By Owners. The overall selling price was 10% more by realtors than For Sale By Owners. This is for the Phoenix area, take a look at your own community for further information.
Please take my warnings seriously. It may save your life and protect your property and valuables.
Thoughts for the day!
- To be a winner, all you have to do is give it all you have.
- Society may predict, but only I can determine my destiny.
- Good things come to those who hustle while they wait.
REMEMBER EXPERIENCE ISN’T EXPENSIVE, IT’S PRICELESS!
SELLING A HOME IS EASY; DOING IT RIGHT IS THE KEY!
LEE AMBLE, REALTOR/CONSULTANT
NATIONAL REALTY OF PRESCOTT
LEE’S CELL: 533-4455
JAN’S CELL: 533-4488