Welcome from Solar Power International Conference and Expo.
The air is electric here in Anaheim California as the largest Solar Conference in U.S. history kicks off with a bang. As experts in the solar field mingled and met during the opening reception, the sky was filled with fireworks from the adjacent Disneyland. Last night we met engineers from Switzerland, utility commissioners from Illinois, panel designers from Kentucky, distributers from Northern California, and financiers from India. We will be attending the expo today and below we offer the official release from the event coordinators.
Today, President Obama announced $3.4 billion dollars to jolt the electric grid and to push smart grid technology such as solar and wind. With this news today I am sure that this will further excite the atmosphere here at this huge event.
Anaheim, Calif. –– Oct. 27, 2009 – Solar Power International 2009, the largest business-to-business solar energy conference and expo in North America, begins today at the Anaheim Convention Center and continues for three days October 27 – 29. Presented by the Solar Electric Power Association (SEPA) and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), Solar Power International is the premier gateway to the U.S. solar market and a closely watched indicator of the industry’s growth. Besides expecting record attendance, the show more than doubled in size with 925 companies represented in the Expo Hall. Last year’s event had 425 exhibitors.
Key themes at this year’s event include the potential of the U.S. as the biggest solar energy market in the world, the impact of solar jobs on the domestic economy, the central role of policy and participation of utilities in the solar industry’s expansion, falling costs for solar equipment, and innovative new technologies and business models driving market adoption of solar in the U.S. market. The conference encompasses all solar technologies including solar photovoltaics (PV), solar thermal (also called solar water heating), space heating and cooling, and utility-scale concentrating solar power, and concentrating PV plants.
The highly anticipated keynote speakers – U.S. Labor Secretary Solis, New Mexico Governor Richardson, Robert Kennedy Jr., and Ed Begley Jr. – will provide a broad perspective on transforming the U.S. energy landscape to a new clean energy economy, and on leveraging clean, renewable solar power to address the stark environmental concerns facing our planet. The General Sessions also include two CEO Panels at which captains of the utility and solar industries discuss critical and timely aspects of the solar marketplace.
“Once again Solar Power International welcomes the entire world to California to explore the vast potential of solar energy,” said Julia Hamm, conference chair and executive director of SEPA. “But the U.S. solar industry is not just in the Golden State. It is now thriving from the Southwest to the Northeast, with utility-scale plants appearing across the country and solar arrays proliferating on homes and businesses in every state. Solar Power International is the place to experience this dynamic industry in action. We are the only event that unites the entire solar industry under one roof. We provide unparalleled learning and networking opportunities for attendees to grow business. And we are proud to invest the event proceeds directly toward the continued growth of the industry.”
“The U.S. solar industry made impressive strides for the last 3 years and we expect growth in 2009 both for installed solar energy generation and manufacturing capacity, despite a weak economy. However, we find ourselves at a critical crossroads as the U.S. government embarks on the most far-reaching shift in energy policy in decades. Solar has emerged as a game-changer for our new energy infrastructure,” said Rhone Resch, president and CEO of SEIA. “Meanwhile, Solar Power International is an important venue for the U.S. solar industry to come together, address our most pressing challenges, work together to overcome market barriers, and educate the general public about the strong economic engine our industry represents.”
Solar Power International features more than 200 expert speakers in 65 break-out sessions, covering the latest developments in solar markets, policy, technology, finance and implementation. For those looking to build a career in the solar industry, the conference offers training workshops at beginner, intermediate and advanced levels on Monday and Friday. The 200,000-square-foot exhibit floor showcases 925 companies from every part of the solar value-chain. The exhibit floor is segmented by product type, making the show easy to navigate for individuals and businesses looking to find and develop relationships.
Although the focus of Solar Power International is business-to-business interaction, the conference once again presents the ever-popular “Public Night,” when show organizers open the expo floor and present free workshops to the public on Wednesday evening, Oct. 28, 5:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Solar Power International’s Public Night has become a tradition and will be a major draw for members of the public eager to learn about the latest solar technology for their homes and businesses.
For more information, visit www.solarpowerinternational.com. Join Solar Power International on Facebook (http://ow.ly/nLsh) and Twitter (http://twitter.com/SolarPwrIntl), and use the Twitter hashtag (#solpwr09) to get real-time updates form the event. Plenary session Web casts will be posted to the conference Web site in the coming days.
General Session Schedule
Tuesday, Oct. 27, 8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
· Welcome by SEPA Chairman David Rubin, PG&E, and SEIA Chairman Roger Efird, Suntech America
· Keynote Speakers (in chron. order): Julia Hamm, Rhone Resch, Ed Begley Jr., U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis
Wednesday, Oct. 28, 8:00 – 10:30 a.m.
· Keynote Speaker: Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
· CEO Panel #1: Developing the Utility-Scale Market for Solar
- Moderator: Michael Schmela, Editor in Chief, Photon International
- Panelists: Don Brandt, Arizona Public Service; Reyad Fezzani, BP Solar; John Woolard, BrightSource; Robert E. Hunzinger, Gainesville Regional Utility; Carlos Domenech, SunEdison
Thursday, Oct. 29, 8:30 – 10:00 a.m.
· Keynote Speaker: New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson
· CEO Panel #2: Surviving the Solar Shakeout
- Moderator: Anne Thompson, NBC
- Panelists: Jeffery Wolfe, groSolar; Freeman Ford, FAFCO; Ron Kenedi, Sharp Solar; Tom Werner, SunPower Corp.; Dr. Zhengrong Shi, Suntech
Solar Power International presents “Public Night”
Anaheim Convention Center, 800 W. Katella Ave. For information on paid parking: http://bit.ly/pqN8r.
· Free, public access to the largest solar energy expo in North America
· Wednesday, Oct. 28, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. @ Anaheim Convention Center
· See and learn about the latest solar energy technology for your home or business. Visit and talk to experts representing over 900 solar energy companies, and attend one of our free workshops:
- 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. Solar PV for Homeowners with Gary Barsley, Southern California Edison and Michael Hidary, Global Solar Center, Room 207ABCD
- 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. California Solar Initiative (CSI) Forum, Room 303ABCD
- 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Solar Hot Water Heating for Homeowners with Mark Thornbloom, Viessmann Manufacturing Company and Tom Bohner, Integrated Solar LLC, Room Grand Ballroom DE
- 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. Find Your Dream Job in Solar with Andy Black, On-Grid Solar and Liz Merry, Verve Solar, Room 204ABC
- 7:30 – 8:30 PM Solar Advocates in Action with Scott Hennessey and Katherine Gensler, Solar Energy Industries Association, Room 207ABCD
Solar Power International is co-presented by the Solar Electric Power Association and the Solar Energy Industries Association.
The Solar Electric Power Association SEPA is comprised of over 700 utilities and solar industry members. From national events to one-on-one counseling, SEPA is the go-to resource for unbiased and actionable solar intelligence. Breaking down information overload into business reality, SEPA takes the time and risk out of implementing solar business plans and helps turn new technologies into new opportunities. www.solarelectricpower.org
Solar Energy Industries Association Established in 1974, the Solar Energy Industries Association is the national trade association of the solar energy industry. As the voice of the industry, SEIA works with its 1,000 members to make solar a mainstream and significant energy source by expanding markets, removing market barriers, strengthening the industry and educating the public on the benefits of solar energy. www.seia.org
Continue to stay tuned to Prescott & ChinoValleyeNews.com as we bring you more information, live on the road at the Solar Power International Conference and Expo in Anaheim California.