The Roughrider baseball team went 1 for 2 Saturday in Phoenix against South Mountain Community College. They won a game and lost two games. The rare “triple header” happened as a result of a suspended game due to darkness in February. Prior to the regularly scheduled doubleheader today, both teams finished the suspended game with Yavapai getting the victory, 9-8. However, South Mountain got the upper hand as they swept the doubleheader, 3-1 and 6-3. YC is now 33-15 on the year and 20-8 in conference play. South Mountain improves to 32-16 overall and 17-11 in ACCAC action.
The suspended game began from where these two teams left off, bottom of the tenth inning, Yavapai up to bat, 1 out, runners on first and third. With the scenario set, Gavin Johns came to the plate and promptly delivered the walk-off single scoring Dylan Enwiller.
Shortly following the conclusion of that game, the regularly schedule twin bill began…
- Joseph Romero did his best to change the outcome, but Romero couldn't pilot YC past the Cougars as the Roughriders lost 3-1 in seven innings.
- Romero was a workhorse on the rubber. Romero pitched six innings and allowed three earned runs, six hits and one walk while striking out five.
- South Mountain took the early lead with a lone run in the first inning and two runs in the third.
- The Green and Gold scored its only run of the game on a groundout by Ramsey Romano in the sixth inning scoring Nate Easley.
- In the final game of the day, despite outhitting South Mountain 10 to seven, the Riders could not get it done.
- Ramsey Romano reached base four times in the game. He singled in the first and second innings and doubled in the fifth inning.
- Hayden Durkiewicz couldn't get it done on the rubber for YC taking a loss. He allowed six runs in 5 2/3 innings, walked two and struck out four.
- In the top of the first, Yavapai grabbed the early lead, 1-0. Romano singled to ignite the offense. South Mountain scored three runs in their half of the third inning. Yavapai tied the score in the top of the fifth inning only to give up two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning and one run in the sixth inning.
On Tuesday, the Battle of the ACCAC Titans happens when league leading Central Arizona College comes to Prescott for an ACCAC doubleheader. Both teams split a doubleheader in Coolidge with YC winning the opener 3-0 and Central Arizona winning the nightcap, 9-0. Tuesday’s games will begin at 12:00 PM.